Bright and tangy with a hint of smokiness, this Fire Roasted Salsa Verde recipe is sure to please. Salsa verde is a staple in Mexican cuisine, and it’s a great way to add some spice to your favorite Mexican dishes.
This amazing tomatillo based green salsa is surprisingly easy to make. The short list of fresh ingredients for this green sauce includes: tomatillos, jalapeño peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, lime, and cilantro. With a blender doing almost all the work, this takes just minutes to prepare!
This delicious and easy homemade salsa verde recipe is perfect for your favorite Mexican dishes like enchiladas verdes, breakfast tacos, burrito bowls, and more. This green sauce can also be used as a dip with homemade tortilla chips or as a topping for black bean and corn salads. Salsa verde is a great alternative to regular salsa, and it offers distinctive tart and smoky flavors.
Why This Recipe Works?
- An amazing green sauce that goes great with chips, quesadillas, nachos, eggs, and more!
- A simple recipe with just a few primary ingredients.
- Takes minutes to prepare.
- Make ahead recipe that can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
- Kid friendly.
- Tastes better than buying it in grocery stores or a Mexican restaurant.
- You can control the spice level to your desire.
- Your Favorite Salsa!!
This recipe uses super easy ingredients that can be purchased from a local grocery store if they are not already in your pantry. Read the Recipe Card for the measurements.
- Tomatillos – Are the main ingredient and are members of the nightshade family, having a unique flavor that is tart, bright and almost citrusy. We prefer to roast these small green tomatoes, as this makes them a little sweeter and lose some of their tartness. Tomatillos are also high in pectin, which naturally will make your salsa verde sauce a bit thicker. Use water to thin it out a bit if necessary.
- Jalapeño Peppers – This is where we get our heat for this recipe. Spiciness can vary widely among individual peppers so be sure to taste your salsa verde while preparing it and adjust the heat level to your liking. If you prefer it super spicy, you can also add serrano peppers.
- Red Onion – Adds some color along with a nice mild flavor.
- Fresh Cilantro – Adds a fresh and citrusy flavor to this dish. Some people do complain that cilantro tastes “soapy”, if you are one of the unfortunate few this happens to, feel free to leave out.
- Garlic – We prefer our garlic to be minced as that releases more of the spicy flavor from this incredibly healthy herb. Garlic’s health benefits are well established and we incorporate it into as many recipes as possible.
- Cumin – Adds depth to this salsa with warm, earthy, smokey notes.
- Lime Juice – The lime juice adds a citrus punch to the sauce while helping to thin it out.
How To Make The Best Salsa Verde
Step 1: Preheat Oven
- Preheat your oven’s broiler or if you prefer you can use a gas grill.
Step 2: Prep It
- Remove the papery husk from the tomatillos.
- Give them a good rinse in some vegetable wash to remove the sticky residue. Occasionally, the sticky stuff might be stubborn to remove and in that case you can wipe them down with a little white vinegar.
Step 3: Roast It
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add tomatillos and jalapeño.
- Place the baking sheet a few inches below the broiler and roast for 4-5 minutes until the tomatillos start to char or become blackened in some spots. Flip everything over and roast for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- The tomatillos and jalapeño should be blistered with splotchy black spots. Once cool enough to handle, remove any hard stems, ribs or seeds from the jalapeño to reduce the spiciness and give a rough chop. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling.
Step 4: Blend It
- In a food processor or blender add the rest of your ingredients; red onion, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin, and salt along with the tomatillos, jalapeño (start with half of the pepper and add more based on your preferred spice level) and any of the juices from the baking sheet.
- Blend to a course puree and add 1/4 cup of water to thin out the salsa. Since jalapeno peppers vary in spiciness, taste the sauce and increase the heat (add more jalapeño) if desired.
Step 5: Serve It
Scoop into a bowl and serve at room temperature with your favorite tortilla chips, of course! While great with homemade tortilla chips, this delicious dip can go with almost everything – from tacos and quesadillas, to grilled meats and fish, and even scrambled eggs!
Buen Provecho (Enjoy)!
- 1 lb tomatillos (about 10-12 small to medium sized)
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, or to taste
- 1/2 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, firmly packed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (1/2 of a lime)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- Preheat your oven's broiler. Remove the papery husk from the tomatillos.
- Rinse the tomatillos in vegetable wash to remove the sticky residue. Use a little white vinegar if necessary.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add tomatillos and jalapeno. Place the baking sheet a few inches below the broiler and roast for 4-5 minutes until the tomatillos start to char or become blackened in some spots. Flip everything over and roast for an additional 4-5 minutes until the tomatillos and jalapeno are blistered with splotchy black spots.
- Once cool enough to handle, remove any hard stems, ribs or seeds from the jalapeno to reduce the spiciness and give a rough chop. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling.
- In a food processor or blender add the rest of your ingredients; red onion, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin, and salt along with the tomatillos, jalapeno (start with half of the pepper) and any of the juices from the baking sheet.
- Blend to a course puree and add 1/4 cup of water to thin out the salsa. Since jalapenos vary in spiciness, taste the sauce and increase the heat (add more jalapeno) if desired.
- Scoop into a bowl and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 3.5 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g